Planning Checklist - Three Weeks until Moving Day
More than 14 days before moving
Get boxes and moving supplies
- Take unwanted items to charity and/or dump.
- Dispose of household chemicals properly (old paint, caustic cleaners, etc.). Take these to the local Toxic Waste Centre.
- Arrange phone service at your new home
- Arrange the return of any cable TV equipment
- Set up mail-forward with Canada Post
- Arrange (new policy or to transfer existing policy) for contents and tenant liability insurance.
- Drivers' license, Health cards, Insurance
- Magazine subscriptions and other mailings
- Bank accounts, credit cards, and tax office, Canada Revenue
- Arrange transfer of car insurance & license plates
- Notify kids' schools, transfer records
- Register at new school
- Get copies of medical and dental records; if you have pets, get copies of veterinary records
8 to 14 days before moving
- Return borrowed items
- Retrieve loaned items
- arrange for major appliances to be moved
- Arrange connection of utilities at new place.
- Arrange disconnection of utilities at old place.
- Dispose of all flammable materials.
2 to 7 days before moving
- Determine what you can bring with you if travelling by car, plane, train, or bus
- Prepare "installed items" that you're bringing
(TV antenna or shelves*)
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries that you'll need the first day in your new home.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days and marks this box "Do Not Move"
The day before moving
- Take down curtains and curtain rods
- Empty, defrost and clean refrigerator; clean the stove
- Pack your personal belongings, except your alarm clock, necessary clothes, jewellry and bedding
- Keep paperwork accessible
- Strip and dismantle beds
- Final walk-through: check all closets and cabinets
- Collect all keys; keep them in a safe place
- Clean premises that you are leaving, inspect with the landlord.
- If using a moving company, confirm the new address and delivery time with the drive
- Know how to reach your new landlord or superintendent