Animal By Laws in Cold Lake 


Leash Laws

Within the City of Cold Lake all animals, including dogs and cats, must be kept on a leash or similar device when not on their own property. Any animal that is not on a leash is considered at large and could be impounded.

Prohibited Areas

Certain areas within the City of Cold Lake are off limits to animals. The most common areas are schools and playgrounds. These areas are always identified with signs that indicate “No Dogs Allowed,” or a similar notice.

Kinosoo Beach is off limits to all dogs, so please do not bring your pet for a swim!


If you own a dog or a cat that is over 6 months of age, and live within the City of Cold Lake, your animal must have an active pet license. Licenses are valid for a calendar year, and must be renewed by the last day in February of each year.

When your pet is licensed, Peace Officers as well as shelter staff are able to quickly identify the animal’s owner. Often times if we know who the owner of a loose pet is we can contact the owner directly to come get the pet, or sometimes even take the pet home. But this only works if you make sure that your pet is wearing their tag on a collar at all times!

Licenses can be obtained from the Lakeland Humane Society located at 6220 50th Ave in Cold Lake South, they can be reached at (780) 594-1896, or visit their website for more information.

Nuisance Animals

Part of having a pet is ensuring that your pet doesn’t become a nuisance to the neighbourhood. As a responsible pet owner you should ensure that:

  • Your pet is never of your property without a leash
  • Your pet never chases after people or vehicles, or runs at large
  • Your pet is never allowed to make an excessive amount of noise
  • You always clean up the mess left by your pet!

Stray Animals and Lost Pets

If you notice a stray animal in your neighbourhood, you can take one of the following measures to ensure it is taken to a safe location:

  • Large or unsafe animals should always be handled by trained professionals. Should you notice any stray animals of this sort, please contact the Cold Lake Peace Officers
  • Stray cats, dogs, and other small animals can be transported to the Lakeland Humane Society. If you do not have the means or proper equipment to transport the animal yourself, or you deem the animal to be unsafe, you should contact the Cold Lake Peace Officers for assistance.

If your pet is impounded as a result of it running at large, it will be taken to the Lakeland Humane Society. If you have caught an animal running at large then you may bring it to the Lakeland Humane Society, or contact Municipal Enforcement to have it picked up.

If you have lost your pet, please contact the Lakeland Humane Society to see if someone has taken it there. The Lakeland Humane Society is located at 6220 50th Ave in Cold Lake South, they can be reached at (780) 594-1896, or visit their website for more information. You can also contact Municipal Enforcement and give us a description of your pet, and the location it is missing from.

Cat Traps

If you are having trouble with problem cats in your area, you may sign out a cat trap from the Lakeland Humane Society. If you catch a cat in the trap, you can bring it to the Lakeland Humane Society yourself, or contact Municipal Enforcement to have it picked up.

Cat traps are only available to residents of the City. You will need to provide your name, address, and phone number. A $50 deposit must be given to sign out a trap, and will be refunded once the trap is returned. Traps can be signed out for 1 week at a time, and are only available during the warm months of the year.

Private traps may be used, provided that they are of the proper type for the animal being trapped, and that they do not cause any injury or harm to an animal. All traps must be constantly monitored to ensure that an animal is not being trapped for a long period of time. If you trap a wild animal in your trap, it is your responsibility to see it released.

Animals in Distress and Animal Cruelty

Peace Officers investigate all reports of animals in distress, or cruelty to animals. As pet owners ourselves, we take these matters very seriously. Should you have any concerns that an animal in your area is being mistreated, please don’t hesitate to call us.

For more information on animal distress and cruelty you can also check out the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Alberta SPCA) website.

Animal Adoptions and the Lakeland Humane Society

All animal adoptions are done through the Lakeland Humane Society. Any inquiries should be directed to them. They are located at 6220 50th Ave in Cold Lake South, and can be reached at (780) 594-1896, or visit their website.

RE/MAX Platinum Realty
RE/MAX Platinum Realty
(780) 661-7653
5402 - 55 A street Cold Lake AB T9M 1R5
no name available RE/MAX Platinum Realty